Top 4 reasons to convert to LED lamps
- Reduced energy cost- LED lamps usually result in 75-90% less electricity use, average savings is 84%.
- Reduced maintenance cost – LED’s longer life bulbs last up to 100,000 hours, resulting in reduced labour cost.
- Environmentally friendly- LED lamps are a great step towards going green. They lack mercury that CFL lamps are full of and longer life means less lamps in our local trash dumps.
- Excels in poor environments- LED lighting is solid state and can operate in damp or poor environments where lamps of the past have had issues.
The common standards of lamp colors
- Halogen- 3000K
- Compact fluorescent- 2700K
- Metal halide- 3000-4500K
- High pressure sodium- 2000-3000K
- Mercury vapor- 3000-6000K
- LED- 3000-6000K
Color Temperature: Color number color description
- 1500K match flame
- 2000K candle flame
- 2500K sun at sunrise or sunset
- 3000K incandescent lamp, halogen, warm white fluorescent
- 3500K neutral white
- 4000K cool white fluorescent, metal halide
- 4500K sunlight early morning or late afternoon
- 5000K direct sunlight, high noon
- 5500K direct midsummer sunlight
- 6000K cloudy sky
- 6500K daylight fluorescent lamp
Incandescent: divide wattage by 8, for eg., 40W incandescent = 5W LED (40/8)
Fluorescent: divide wattage by 2, for eg., 15W fluorescent = 7W LED (15/2)
Advantages of LED Lighting
- Use at least 75% less energy than incandescent lighting, saving on operating expenses.
- Last 35 to 50 times longer than incandescent lighting and about 2 to 5 times longer than fluorescent lighting. No bulb-replacements, no ladders, no ongoing disposal program.
- Produce very little heat.
- Come with a minimum three-year warranty — far beyond the industry standard.
- Available with convenient features such as dimming on some indoor models and automatic daylight shut-off and motion sensors on some outdoor models.
- Durable — won’t break like a bulb.
- Brightness is equal to or greater than existing lighting technologies (incandescent or fluorescent) light is well distributed over the area lighted by the fixture.
- Light output remains constant over time, only decreasing towards the end of the rated lifetime (at least 35,000 hours or 12 years based on use of 8 hours per day).
- Excellent color quality. The shade of white light appears clear and consistent over time.
- Efficiency is as good as or better than fluorescent lighting.
- Light comes on instantly when turned on.
- No flicker when dimmed.
- No off-state power draw. The fixture does not use power when it is turned off, with the exception of external controls, whose power should not exceed 0.5 watts in the off state